Friday 2 March 2018

My mum spends $600+ a month on gambling, and she tells me she has no money!

  Posted at  March 02, 2018 2 comments
My mum always tells me she has no money and asks me whenever I forgot to pass her the allowance for the month. My sister gives her $500, and I give her $300. This gives her a combined amount of $800 per month. I was checking some bank details about her medisave deduction when I found out, she spends a whooping $600+ on 4D and Toto combined in the last month. To be exact, the amount was $638.92!

A quick math and that comes up to 80% of the total amount we give her!!!!!!!!! Although she doesn't work, my sister has her own family and I eat outside. Apart from the utilities that come up to around $100+ per month, my mum shouldn't have much to spend on.

But if we give her $800 a month, each year is $9,600. Imagine spending $7,680 on gambling alone!

SHOCKING!

As I tried to calm myself down and refrain from scolding her (which I was able to do), I immediately turned to writing this blog post.

There are two reasons why I think she gambles so much:

1) People of her generation play as much as well.
How do I know? My ex-gf once complained to me that her Dad spends hundreds of dollars per month on gambling 4D alone but has no money for her school fees. My mum tells me of stories how one uncle struck it rich and won a whooping $190k on gambling 4D. No wonder she started to buy more despite that it is well-known that the probability of striking a lottery is very slim.

For example, with the TOTO, you have a 1 chance in 13,983,816 of getting the Group 1 prize. That doesn't seem to deter anyone.


2) It is one of her few hobbies.
Besides watching tv, as a housewife my mum has not much hobbies, besides hogging the radio at certain timing to eagerly hear the 4D results.


Local lottery tickets. Would you spend $600 a month at a chance to strike gold? Source: Straits Times
My action plan:
Oh you bet I am so gonna do something about this. Hopefully it is not blasting my mum for spending so much on gambling when she doesn't have much money.

Just 2 weeks ago, I told her of my plans to save up and invest REITS and stocks. She seemed open to the idea, and in fact she remarked:

"Oh, why don't you put the $300 per month you give me into that (investing) as well?"

You Bet from now on I will. LOL.

Oh, next time I hear "I don't have money from her, I might be a little pissed."

Anyway, it is a good reminder for me as well not to be gambling or spending on unnecessarily things. Not especially when you just almost break even each month.

Until next time,
K.C.

2 comments:

  1. We must think like the TOTO seller, not the buyer.

    ReplyDelete

Back to top ↑
30 Year Old Investor
Sow today, Reap Tomorrow

All Rights Reserved © 30 Year Old Investor 2023

About

You don't need to pay anyone/company to have a plan of your own and work towards achieving Financial Independence. Only we alone have no conflict of interest with our own money. "30 Year Old Investor" is a personal blog about a Singaporean's savings and investing journey.


Being the average Singaporean, K.C. is also interested in good food, a little bit of politics and a good slice of humour.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Cookies

Note: Cookies are used on this blog. By using the site, you agree to Google's use of Blogger and Google cookies, including the use of Google Analytics and Adsense cookies. You may disable these cookies through your browser settings as you deem fit.

Disclaimer

Disclaimer: The views expressed, opinion and information in this article are strictly for informational purposes to encourage educational discussions only.

No content on this site constitutes - or should be understood as constituting - a recommendation to enter any securities transactions or to engage in any of the investment strategies presented in our site content. We do not provide personalised recommendations or views as to whether a particular stock or investment approach is suitable to the financial needs of a specific individual. No representation or warranty expressed or implied is made as to, and no reliance shall be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or correctness of the information or opinions contained on this website.

"30 Year Old Investor" shall not be liable whatsoever for loss or damages of any kind arising from the result of any use, reliance or distribution of the articles or its contents from information contained on this website.

Blogger templates. | Distributed by Rocking Templates Proudly Powered by Blogger.